Job ID 1579
November 7, 2023
Employee Group: https://www.grcc.edu/faculty-staff/general-counsel/labor-relations/employment-contracts
Schedule: 40 hours/ 52 weeks, 7:30AM - 4:00 PM, Monday - Friday
Compensation: $17.82 per hour
Reports to: Associate Director of Facilities Management
Posting Closes: November 21, 2023
The Building Maintenance position reports to the Associate Director of Facilities Management. Responsibilities include the maintenance, minor repair, and upkeep of plumbing fixtures, electrical devices, HVAC equipment, elevators, fire extinguishers, fire alarm, painting, minor carpentry, etc., as well as following recognized procedures and techniques to safely perform duties. This position may assist one or more skilled tradesmen by performing specific or general duties and may perform work independent of tradesmen where direct supervision is not required.
• Coordinate own and others' work between maintenance, electrical, HVAC, plumbing and carpentry departments, administration, and outside vendors
• Plan, layout and organize work with minimum supervision in a commercial and/or industrial environment
• Possess basic electrical, plumbing, and carpentry skills
• Operate and use power tools and equipment ranging from snow and landscaping equipment to drills and table saws
• Perform and complete tasks, such as: electrical ballast replacement; pull-wire; identify and trace circuits; change interior and exterior lighting, etc.
• Perform tasks of plumbing such as the replacement of faucets/cartridges; O-rings; minor leaks; etc., without assistance
• Provide minor HVAC work such as changing belts, filters, monitoring systems, identifying problem areas within the mechanical system, etc.
• Interior and exterior painting
• Minor carpentry such as hanging pictures and signs, tack-boards, and minor campus repairs
• Assist in the movement and set-up of office furnishings
• Knowledgeable and familiar with all GRCC fire panels, fire suppression systems and equipment
• Call, schedule, meet, and assist contracted vendors (elevator, security/fire alarm, fire suppression etc.) to conduct inspections, perform maintenance, and make repairs on campus
• Service and maintain air compressors to ensure reliable and efficient operations
• Inspect fire service rooms weekly across campus
• Performs monthly fire extinguisher inspections (including elevator rooms). Ensures that building managers provide monthly fire extinguisher reports for their respective buildings
• Ongoing roof maintenance and inspections
• Provide assistance to grounds maintenance when needed
• Order, inventory, and disperse salt to maintain campus water softeners across campus
• Aid in event setups (setting up/tearing down bleachers at the Fieldhouse)
• Record utility meter readings for campus use
• Travel to all college locations using personal and company vehicles.
• Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• High school diploma or equivalent required
• 3-5 years' experience in an academic/institutional, commercial, or industrial maintenance preferred
• Commercial painting experience preferred
• Proven ability to operate and use powered tools and equipment ranging from snow and landscaping equipment to drills and table saws
• Proven ability to perform and complete tasks, such as: electrical ballast replacement; pull-wire; identify and trace circuits; change interior and exterior lighting, etc.
• Knowledge and ability to perform tasks of plumbing such as the replacement of faucets/cartridges; O-rings; minor leaks; etc., without assistance
• Familiar with lock out/tag out procedures and compliance
• Proven ability to provide minor HVAC work such as changing belts, filters, monitoring systems, identifying problem areas within the mechanical system, etc.
• Able to plan, layout and organize work with minimum supervision in a commercial and/or industrial environment
• Must have a valid Michigan driver's license
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Must be able to lift, carry, push or pull a variety of tools, equipment and materials
• Must be able to operate hand and power tools
• May be required to work in vicinity of labs containing bio hazardous substances
• Ability to work from ladders, lifts or scaffolding
• Ability to work inside or outside in hot or cold conditions
• Possession of a Hilo license within 1 year after date of hire required
• Be able to adjust to a flexible and changing schedule
• The ability to work with a variety of college staff personnel
• The ability to provide customer service to faculty, staff, students and the general public
• GRCC will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Compliance information is available on our http://www.grcc.edu/policies.
• Work alone
• Work during the hours of darkness
• Work indoors and outdoors
• Work with or without heat and air conditioning
• Occasional early morning starts, staying late, and/or alternate off shift working hours will be required
METHOD OF APPLICATION
GRCC is only accepting online applications for this position athttps://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume. The opportunity to apply for this position will close at the end of the day on the close date referenced at the top of this job posting. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
GRCC uses an Evidence Based Selection Process, where we make data driven hiring decisions to help mitigate bias throughout the hiring process. As part of this process, candidates will participate in assessments (cognitive and behavioral), reference checks and interviews.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4773683
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.