Early Childhood Learning Laboratory Instructor
Early Childhood Learning Laboratory Instructor
Early Childhood Learning Laboratory (ECLL) Instructor, Tenure Track (3 Positions Available)
Job ID 1584
October 23, 2023
Department: Early Childhood Learning Lab
Employee Group: Faculty Association
Schedule: 40 hours per week, 42 weeks per year
Compensation: Consistent with https://www.grcc.edu/sites/default/files/docs/humanresources/2022-2025%20Faculty%20Association%20contract.docx.pdf (Page #112)
Reports to: Director of Early Childhood Learning Laboratory
Posting Closes: November 27, 2023
GRCC is seeking a faculty member who possesses an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability. The successful candidate will engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development; and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as work associated with the School of Liberal Arts and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communications skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
This is a unique position that serves a dual role as a faculty member in a lab setting mentoring college students while maintaining the responsibilities as a lead teacher in an early childhood classroom.
Early Childhood Classroom Responsibilities
• Plan and implement a curriculum that enhances the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development of each child. Lesson plans must meet accreditation, Total Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (Great Start to Quality) standards, as well as incorporate learning objectives and meet any current funding criteria
• Responsible for knowing and implementing required procedures of grant programs. Conduct follow-up conferences and or home visits with families and teachers, and maintain correspondence
• Maintain licensing, accreditation, Total Quality Rating and Improvement System (Great Start to Quality), and grant initiatives as required for individual classrooms
• Assess children's development utilizing HighScope's Child Observation Record (COR) Advantage assessment tool; providing data input and completing assigned checkpoints. Use data collected for lesson planning and room organization
• Compose, display and maintain informative classroom documentation, including newsletters, family boards, and required classroom paperwork as required to meet National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and Total Quality Rating and Improvement System (TQRIS) standards
• Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to staffing interruptions and assisting other classrooms as needed
• Establish supportive relationships with families, maintaining daily communication and collaborating to promote the well-being of each child and their classroom success
• Work collaboratively with classroom staff to organize, coordinate, implement and attend family and/or staff engagements events
• An awareness of appropriate child care food program practices and ability to implement these in the classroom
• Maintain annual membership and up-to-date profile information in the MiRegistry system
Faculty Member/ Lab Instructor Responsibilities
• Supervise, coach and guide interns throughout the semester
• Coordinate, supervise, evaluate and debrief college students individually on their weekly planned activities in the classroom throughout the day
• Work cooperatively with all members of the Education Program to meet the goals
• Attend instructor meetings as scheduled
• Meet the annual requirements for Faculty Performance Evaluation as outlined in the faculty agreement
• Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions while also accommodating GRCC student needs
• Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner
• Lead classroom staff in weekly classroom team meetings, providing input and responses to evaluate classroom curriculum activities in coordination with course lab expectations
• A commitment to serve the Kent County community and hosting those visiting the ECLL.
• Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customer functions of this position.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Family and Child Studies or related field required. Candidates with a bachelor's degree will be considered with the understanding that a Master's degree must be achieved within four years of hire, based on tenure expectations.
• Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education, Family and Child Studies, or related field preferred.
• A minimum of three years full time experience with infants, toddlers and/or preschoolers in a licensed early childhood program required.
• Five years' experience in the field of early childhood education, preferred.
• Experience working in a college campus early childhood center preferred.
• Proficient in software applications including Microsoft and Google Suite.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to lift and move 50 lbs.
• Must be able to kneel, squat, sit on floors and hold hands with children and sit in low chairs.
• Must be able to walk at least one mile in distance.
• Engage in year-round outside activities in all types of weather.
• An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
• Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
• High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, colleagues, children and families.
• GRCC will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Compliance information is available on our http://www.grcc.edu/policies.
• Early Childhood classroom environment in an academic setting.
• Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings.
• The expectation is that faculty at the ECLL are able to work with any age group from birth to age 5. Classroom placements are assigned each year.
• Complete a minimum of 24 hours of early childhood professional development per year, documented in MiRegistry. A minimum of three hours in Cultural Competence training is required annually.
• Acquire and maintain a Child Care Background Check Program (fingerprinting) and any other clearance required by licensing and funding criteria.
• Acquire and maintain CPR and First Aid Certifications.
• Acquire and maintain tuberculosis test and physical, meeting program requirements.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
GRCC is only accepting online applications for this position athttps://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter resume, and unofficial transcripts for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close at the end of the day on the close date referenced at the top of this job posting. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
GRCC uses an Evidence Based Selection Process, where we make data driven hiring decisions to help mitigate bias throughout the hiring process. As part of this process, candidates will participate in reference checks and interviews.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4755115
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.